colorful history architecture and Southern hospitality
Aberdeen is located on the banks of the Tombigbee River; in the 19th century it was one of the busiest ports on the Mississippi. Today Aberdeen retains many historic structures from this period, with over 200 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places. Aberdeen Lock and Dam forms Aberdeen Lake, a popular recreational area and part of the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway system.
Smart Trip Planning Logistics Locations Costs Time and Personalized Solutions
History the first Europeans reached this part of the American South in 1540 as part of the Hernando Desoto Expedition. Aberdeen was first settled in 1834 and chartered as a town in 1837 when it became a thriving cotton port.
Location Aberdeen is ideally located to visit the cities of the American South and the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway links it with the Tennessee River and the Gulf of Mexico.
Aberdeen is Located on the Tombigbee River and Near Prairie Land Ideal for Cotton Farming
Southern Hospitality as a historic port city, Aberdeen is accustomed to hosting travelers and sharing access to the area’s recreational treasures, festivals and parades, shopping, hunting, fishing, hiking and golfing. The city’s local cultural scene includes the theater, antebellum mansions and one of the best libraries in Mississippi.
Historic Architecture Aberdeen homes feature a variety of architectural styles such as stained and leaded glass windows, towers, bays and brackets and outstanding examples of almost every period and style of Southern architecture; antebellum cottages and mansions, ornate Victorians, turn-of-the-century neoclassical homes and substantial bungalows from the 1920s and 1930s.
Aberdeen Lake Marina is conveniently located for boaters to enjoy cruising the Tenn-Tom Waterway and Aberdeen Lock and Dam. The Blue Bluff Recreation Area is one of the most scenic recreation areas on the waterway with both a campground and day-use area. The area is named for the beautiful clay and limestone cliffs that border the park on the eastern side. The bluff rises 80 feet above the water and provides a lofty view of the lake and nearby lock and dam.