Cultural Heritage · destination management · Historic Towns · microtransit · Mobility · Rivers · Transit Calculator · travel plan · waterways

Morgantown West Virginia

historic neighborhoods industry river shipping and personal rapid transit

Morgantown is located just south of the Mason-Dixon Line, 75 miles (121 km) south of Pittsburgh, 208 mi (335 km) north-northwest of Washington, D.C., 204 mi (328 km) east of Columbus and 156 miles (251 km) northeast of Charleston, WV.

downtown morgantownThe History of Morgantown is closely tied to the Anglo-French struggle for this territory. Until the Treaty of Paris in 1763, the area was greatly contested by white settlers and Native Americans, and by British and French soldiers. Several forts were built during this time, including Fort Morgan in 1772 when Zackquill Morgan established a homestead near present-day Fayette Street and University Avenue.wharf-districtThe city is comprised of several neighborhoods that were once independent towns, including: First Ward, Woodburn, South Park, Jerome Park, South Hills, Second Ward, Greenmont, Suncrest, Evansdale, Wiles Hill, Sunnyside, Sabraton, the Mileground, and North Hills. While some of these are in part or entirely outside the city limits, they are still considered part of Morgantown as trolley cars determined how far people lived outside of the city.

Development of the DuPont Ordnance Works during World War II resulted in prefabricated homes being constructed in Suncrest, the names of some streets reflected the community’s participation in various service organizations, such as Civitan, Kiwanis, Lions and Rotary.

In 2000, the White House Millennium Council designated Suncrest as a Millennium Community

woodburn circle uwvSouth Park is across Deckers Creek from downtown Morgantown. Originally farmland, it was one of the first suburbs of Morgantown. In the early 20th century, South Park experienced a housing boom, with wealthy and influential citizens settling there. The neighborhood is designated a historic district by the National Register of Historic Places.

Following World War II, many new families came to Woodburn, attracted by the parkland, closeness to downtown, community atmosphere, and nearby school. In 1950, Tom and Anna Torch opened the Richwood Avenue Confectionery, a corner store and lunch counter that served beer in large Weiss goblets from the Morgantown Glassworks. When they sold the operation in 1963 to Mario and Rose Spina, the establishment was nicknamed Mario’s Fishbowl in honor of the goblets.

morgantown personal rapid transitTransportation Morgantown relies heavily on the Monongahela River for shipping coal and other products. The river is fully navigable from its mouth at the Ohio River in Pittsburgh, past Morgantown upstream to Fairmont Morgantown Lock and Dam, located in the southern part of the city.

Transit Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit PRT most of Morgantown is accessible by the Mountain Line Transit Authority bus system. The Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit PRT system covers 8.65 miles (13.9 km) and has five stations.

city of morgantownConnect for Your Travel to Morgantown and West Virginia

Shared Mobility Calculator     Intercity Travel Costs     US Trip Planner

Arezza Bot

America · Cultural Heritage · Historic Towns · intercity transit · Travel · travel plan

Columbus Ohio

history transport hub industrial town breweries and historic villages

Columbus named for explorer Christopher Columbus, it was founded in 1812 at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers; it became Ohio’s state capital in 1816. The city has a diverse economy based on education, government, insurance, banking, fashion, defense, aviation, food, clothes, logistics, steel, energy, medical research, health care, hospitality, retail, and technology.

Columbus is home to the Ohio State University

University Hall OSUHistory the area including modern-day Columbus once comprised the Ohio Country under French control through the Viceroyalty of New France from 1663 until 1763 as Europeans engaged in the fur trade. In the 1740s, Pennsylvania traders overran the territory until the French regained control; the region routinely suffered turmoil, massacres and battles. Finally, the 1763 Treaty of Paris ceded the Ohio Country to the British.

Colonists from the East Coast moved in but encountered people of from several Indian nations, as well as European traders. The tribes resisted expansion by the fledgling United States, leading to years of bitter conflict. By 1797, a permanent settlement was founded on the west bank of the forks of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers; the location was ideal for its proximity to navigable rivers.

Columbus became State Capital because of its Proximity to Major Transportation Routes

Transport Hub and Industry the National Road connected Columbus with Baltimore in 1831 in addition to the Ohio and Erie Canal, facilitating the arrival of Irish and German immigrants. By 1875, eight railroads served Columbus, and the rail companies built a new, more elaborate station. The city became a major industrial town by the late 19th century with buggy factories, steel producers and breweries. The American Federation of Labor was founded here in 1886 by Samuel Gompers, followed by the United Mine Workers in 1890.

Street Arches on Short NorthWooden Arches on High Street Provided Electricity for the New Streetcars

The Columbus Experiment was an internationally recognized environmental project in 1908, which involved construction of the first water plant in the world to apply filtration and softening, designed and invented by Clarence and Charles Hoover; an invention that reduced the incidence of typhus.

Port Columbus Airport was a Rail-to-Air Transcontinental System from the East to the West Coast

Neighborhoods and Villages modern interpretations of neighborhood borders vary significantly as historical neighborhoods, villages, towns and townships have been annexed and absorbed by the city.

Columbus Italian VillageThe Italian Village is a mixed land use neighborhood that contains an array of residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. It is a designated historic district for its historical and cultural preservation. The building types and architecture reflect Italian influence. With its parks and preserved historic homes, Italian Village has the highest home value appreciation in Columbus. The neighboring Downtown District provides access to major employers, cultural and learning institutions, and entertainment venues.

Brewery DistrictThe Victorian Village is in an older area with a fair number of established trees for an urban setting. Neil Avenue runs north/south and eventually crosses through the campus of The Ohio State University.

 

The Brewery District is located just south of the central business district with a history stretching nearly 200 years. The first brewery was opened by German immigrant Louis Hoster in 1836. At the height of its success, there were five breweries located in the area. Following Prohibition in 1920, the area become home to industry and warehouses. In recent years, redevelopment has taken place on a large scale, with restaurants and bars.

German VillageThe German Village is a historic neighborhood settled German immigrants in the mid-19th century who constituted as much as a third of the population of the entire city. It has a commercial strip mainly centered along South Third Street, with mostly locally owned restaurants, as well as the St. Mary Catholic Church. The area is mostly a residential neighborhood of sturdy, red-brick homes with wrought iron fences along tree-lined, brick-paved streets.

Arezza Bot